| Job Title
|Reporting To||Head of Training & Development|
|Salary||Competitive + Car Allowance|
|Location||Partly at our Roastery in London (E16) / Partly in the field (inside/outside London territory)|
About Union Hand-Roasted Coffee
Hello, we’re Union Hand-Roasted Coffee – a proud B Corp and the UK’s leading speciality coffee roaster. We source high-quality coffee direct from farmers in 14 countries via our pioneering model, Union Direct Trade. We roast all of our coffee on-site at our East London roastery and distribute to cafes, retailers and homes across the UK for coffee lovers to enjoy.
We are focused on quality and sustainability across everything we do. In 2022, we certified as a B Corporation, an extremely exciting step for us. But that’s not all! Our sourcing model won The Queen’s Award for Enterprise in 2017 and 2022, and to date, we’ve had a positive impact on over 65,000 coffee farmers and their families.
We’re proud roasters for some of Britain’s finest cafes and restaurants, as well as supplying to retailers to sell to home consumers. Our coffee is also available roasted fresh to order for coffee drinkers at home via our online shop. You can also find us up in our own cafe, Union Brew Lab, in the centre of Edinburgh.
Our inclusive, diverse team of Unionistas consists of around 70 people – a smiley bunch of people passionate about coffee, mostly based at our East London roastery. Yes, it does smell like coffee!
As a B Corporation, Union places great emphasis on building a people-centric culture. Every Unionista is expected to fully embrace our values and demonstrate these in everything that they do. In doing so we believe that we can build a brighter future for all. These values are:
- Work as one. We value teamwork and respect each other
- Wow them. We want to do the best for our customers
- Keep learning and sharing. We want to continuously strive for excellence and share this with others
- Just brew it. We value entrepreneurial attitude and 'getting things done'
- Enjoy it. We want to spread the joy of coffee
- Do the right thing. For everyone in our Union - from farmers to suppliers to Unionistas in the roastery and our environment
What you will be doing:
You will be a key member of the Training & Development team, with a remit to drive the training agenda and spread our passion for speciality coffee; putting our core values into action in everything that you do. You will be pivotal in ensuring that great coffee quality is maintained wherever our coffee is served!
You will be responsible for training clients both inside and outside the London territory. You will also be responsible for leading on training provision for some of Union’s largest key accounts, as well as boutique independents.
As Coffee Trainer, you will deliver a range of Union modules, both at dedicated off-site training spaces and on-site to meet customer need. You will also deliver a range of SCA courses for both foodservice and home consumers.
In addition, you will:
- work with the Head of Training & Development on customer specific as well as generic training action plans
- create and deliver a range of SCA courses to Union’s OOH customers
- deliver Union Training Programme to OOH customers (London & regionally)
- support and represent Union during tastings and various coffee events
- work closely with the Union OOH Sales team to meet company goals and objectives
- prepare and analyse training reports, expense reports and other materials as required
- organise training & tasting activities in the office to develop Union’s non-coffee training teams
- work with the Head of Training & Development to develop new and update all existing Training collateral, both digital and physical
This role is very much hands on and given the nature of the job, some non-core hours and weekend working will be required.
You will need to be physically fit to meet the requirements of the job as it will require good mobility, the ability to lift and manoeuvre coffee and machinery and the physical dexterity needed to use that machinery! You will also need to work on foot for extended periods.
The successful candidate will have previous experience in speciality coffee and excellent barista and coffee training skills. In addition, they will:
- Be AST qualified
- Hold appropriate SCA Barista & Brewing qualifications
- Have a full & clean Driving Licence valid for use in the UK
- Have excellent computer skills - experienced in Outlook, MS Word, Excel and Powerpoint / presentational software
- Be highly organised, with strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Have excellent relationship management skills – the ability to build relationships up, down and across the channel customer base as well as develop and ensure positive working relationships
- Be a self-starter with an entrepreneurial mindset
- Have the ability to work under pressure and to strict deadlines whilst remaining in control and staying approachable
- Be structured, patient, and thorough approach to trainees, colleagues and clients alike
- Be a forward thinker with strong follow through skills
- Have a positive and engaging personality, with a hands-on approach!
- Great, agile team to work with
- The chance to be an active part of Union’s success in spreading the love of speciality coffee
- Lots of holiday – with 25 days of holiday plus the usual bank holidays
- Generous sick pay – with enhanced sick leave and pay if you need to take time out
- Fantastic support for parents - enhanced family/dependant leave and pay allowances
- Support for your future – access to our workplace pension scheme from day one
- Support with travel – access to our Cycle to Work scheme / Electric Car Scheme
- Free breakfast – and endless great coffee to drink at work
- Staff discounts - and free sample coffees to take home!
- Time to give and support our communities – with paid time off for volunteering
You’ll be part of our team helping us grow, in the right way – upholding our ethics and values, and having some fun on the way.
We are an equal opportunities employer and believe that diversity is a strength. We really care about creating a diverse and inclusive team and we welcome people from all backgrounds, with different perspectives, ideas and experiences to work with us. In our team, everyone has the freedom to give their opinion, grow in their career and be part of a genuinely caring and inclusive team.
If you think you like the sound of this role and fit the description, we’d love to hear from you.
If you like the sound of this role and fit the description, please send your CV to Halina@unionroasted.com. Please note that while we will try to respond to all applications, sometimes the sheer volume of responses means we can only focus on successful applicants. If your application is successful one of the team will be in touch to arrange an initial conversation.