|Role||Senior Brand Manager|
|Reports to||Marketing and E-Commerce Director|
About Union Hand-Roasted Coffee
What does Union mean? It’s about working together, in partnership with coffee farmers worldwide as well as with our trade customers and coffee drinkers at home. This is what our founders, Jeremy Torz and Steven Macatonia, have been doing since Union was founded in 2001.
Our mission is to make the world discover the joy of speciality coffee. From farmers to coffee lovers, we enrich life through our relentless focus on great quality, sustainable sourcing and sharing the culture of delicious coffee.
The main aim that Union was founded on has remained the same since day one: to encourage farmers to produce high-quality coffee by paying sustainable prices. Since then, Union has witnessed the extra income from this trading model help improve the livelihoods of farmers, and further encourage them to keep raising the quality of their coffee all over the world. We call this sourcing philosophy Union Direct Trade - which won The Queen’s Award for Enterprise in 2017. We’re proud roasters for some of Britain’s finest cafes and restaurants, as well as supplying to retailers to sell to home consumers. Our coffee is also available roasted fresh to order for coffee drinkers at home via our online shop. You can also find us up in our own cafe, Union Brew Lab, in the centre of Edinburgh.
Some of the perks of working at Union
• Delicious, fresh coffee in the office – as much as you can drink!
• Free coffee to take home each week
• Barista training – to ensure you can make a quality cup, as well as frequent communal ‘cupping’ (coffee tasting) events
• 24 days of holiday, plus a day off for your birthday (in addition to bank holidays)
• Cycle to Work scheme
• Monthly free breakfast
• Friends and family discount from our web shop
What you will be doing
You’ll be bringing the Union brand to life across several touchpoints, from our packaging to emails, social media, PR, events, instore and digital. You will take ownership for a wide range of areas, working with internal and external stakeholders to build brand visibility with both the trade and home consumers and also helping retain and engage existing Union advocates.
You will develop and drive implementation of strong creative ideas, communication and activation strategies, including managing key brand partnerships, creating communications plans for our e-commerce platform and instore execution plans for our grocery retail customers. With a keen eye for creative and copy, you will develop compelling brand activation across all touchpoints. You understand our customers and what makes them tick, and know where and how to communicate to them.
You will lead thinking and manage our coffee offering and communication. You will support and lead your team (Trade Marketing Manager and Social Media Executive) to deliver best in class marketing plans.
Key tasks include;
• Ensuring our brand is communicated consistently and compellingly across different platforms
• Championing our brand internally and bringing it to life in our roastery
• Leading instore execution in our grocery accounts, including POS and onpack promotions
• Leading our annual communications plans, ensuring they are coordinated across our different channels and social media
• Creating offline materials such as inserts and leaflets for our e-commerce and grocery channels
• Managing our packaging design
• Supporting, developing and giving direction to direct reports (Trade Marketing Manager and Social Media Executive)
• Managing our brand partnerships including British Airways, and creating new ones
• Project managing our new coffee releases, including creation of relevant materials
• Sourcing and creating compelling product packages for our e-commerce channel
• Ability to bring to life our brand and passion
• Eye for creative and copy writing
• 5 years plus marketing experience, agency or client side
• Ability to coordinate, organize and lead project teams
• Understanding and empathy for customers
• Knowledge and understanding of how to work with customers and sales team to get the best out of our relationships, grocery experience a plus
• Commercial mindset
• Experience in grocery retail, e-commerce, experiential and digital marketing activation is a plus
• Proactive - you take responsibility to get things done and are willing to roll up your sleeves and get stuck in yourself
• Ready to balance the excitement and flexibility of an SME with the scarcity of resources
• Innovative - you enjoy putting forward ideas, testing, learning and trying new things
• Driven - you are enthusiastic, passionate and keen to deliver results that impact the business
• Excited about problem solving with others in a fun and dynamic team
• Independent - you’re resourceful and show initiative in your work
• Looking to bring to life our values in your work;
o Work as one. We value teamwork and respect each other.
o Wow them. We want to do the best for our customers.
o Keep learning and sharing. We want to continuously strive for excellence and share this with others.
o Just brew it. We value entrepreneurial attitude and ‘getting things done’.
o Enjoy it. We want to spread the joy of coffee.
o Do the right thing. For everyone in our Union – from farmers to suppliers to Unionistas in the roastery and our environment
• An exciting role with opportunity for growth
• Great team to work with
• The chance to be an active part of Union’s success in spreading the love of speciality coffee
• Opportunity to make your mark and drive through ideas into execution
• Competitive salary
You’ll be part of our team helping us grow, in the right way – upholding our ethics and values, and having some fun on the way.
We are an equal opportunities employer and believe that diversity is a strength.
If you think you like the sound of this role and fit the description, we’d love to hear from you.
Please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject title 'Senior Brand Manager'