June 23, 2023

Iced Filter Coffee

At this time of year, we like to add iced coffee into our summer brew rotation and whilst there are many ways to do this using cold brew concentrate or with an espresso shot over ice - one of the simplest, most delicious and refreshing ways to brew iced coffee is using the filter method.

The recipe below uses a V60 brewer, but you can apply this to your preferred filter brewer. Essentially it takes your standard recipe but instead of 100% water, we use 60% water and 40% ice, which allows your drink to rapidly cool as it pours into your cup or server – without diluting it!

What you'll need

  • Filter dripper (V60, Kalita Wave, Clever Dripper, etc.)
  • Filter papers
  • Hot water
  • Ice
  • Coffee

How to make it

The iced filter is brewed like a regular hot filter coffee, with a few tweaks:

  • 60% of the water in the brew recipe is hot, with the remaining 40% water used as ice
  • The recipe uses a slightly higher coffee to water ratio – 65g coffee per litre of water
  • The recipe uses a slightly finer grind than your usual filter recipe

Example recipe

  • 22g coffee, ground slightly finer than your regular filter grind
  • 200ml hot water, 130g ice

Rinse the paper filter with hot water – it’s better to do this over the sink so you aren’t pre-heating the brewing vessel. Add 130g ice to the bottom of the vessel.

Grind your coffee and add to your brewer, placing the brewer over the vessel and ice.

Using 200ml hot water, brew the filter with your usual pouring method – the finer grind and higher dose will create a stronger brew, which will be diluted to perfect drinking strength as the ice melts.

What coffee to use

Coffees with big fruity notes and high acidity are perfect for iced filter – we recommend our Sovu, Women of Maraba or Bright Note coffees for a refreshing caffeine hit, fit for the warmer weather this summer.

Related Articles